Bhupinder Singh (born 8 April 1939) is an Indian musician, chiefly a Ghazal singer. He was born in Patiala, Punjab in 1939 to Prof Natha Singh ji (Punjabi Sikh), a trained vocalist and his early music teacher. His father was a strict teacher, and Bhupinder singh hated music and its instruments at one stage.
Early in his career, Bhupinder performed on All India Radio, Delhi. He was also attached to the Delhi Doordarshan Center, Delhi. He learnt guitar and violin. In 1968, music directorMadan Mohan heard him over AIR, and called him to Bombay. He gave him a chance to sing the song Hoke Majboor Mujhe Usne Bulaya Hoga with Mohammad Rafi in Chetan Anand’s Haqeeqat. Although the song was hit, Bhupinder didn’t get much recognition. He sang a few more songs in some low-budget films.
Thereafter Bhupinder started releasing private albums wherein his first LP had three self-composed songs and was released in 1968, second LP of ghazals wherein he introduced the Spanish guitar, bass and drums to the ghazal style, released in 1978 and his third LP titled Woh Jo Shair Tha, for which the lyrics were written by Gulzar in 1980.
Entering wedlock with a Bangladeshi singer Mitali, he moved away from playback singing in the mid-1980s and since then has been singing jointly for several albums and live concerts. The sensational duo of Bhupinder-Mitali became an aura. Together they have produced lots of ghazal and geet cassettes till date and their charisma has increased day by day. Some of the very famous numbers of the artists are – ‘Dil Dhoondta hai’, ‘Do diwane shahar mein’, ‘Naam gum jayega’, “Karoge yaad to”, “Meethe bol bole”, “Kabhi kisi ko mukammal”, “Kisi nazar ko tera intezaar aaj bhi”.
As playback singer
- Aawaz Di Hai Aaj Ek Nazar Ne from the movie Aitbaar (1986) (composed by Bappi Lahiri)
- Kisi Nazar Ko Tera Intezar Aaj Bhi Hai, composed by Bappi Lahiri
- Hoke Majboor Mujhe Usne Bulaya Hoga, composed by Madan Mohan
- Beeti Na Beetai Raina, composed by Rahul Dev Burman
- Dil Dhoondta Hai, composed by Madan Mohan
- Naam Gum Jayega, composed by Rahul Dev Burman
- Ek Akela Is Shaher Mein, composed by Jaidev
- Daro Deewar Pe..Khush Raho Ahle-Vatan! composed by Jaidev
- Huzoor Is Kadar bhi na Itra ke Chaliye(movie:-Maasoom), composed by Rahul Dev Burman
- Hothon Pe Aisi Baat, composed by Sachin Dev Burman
- Kaise Kahoon kuch kaina sakoon from Tamil film Nandu 1981, composed by Ilayaraja
- Tum say jo bat hui tum say jo mulaqat hui (composed by Uttam-Jagdesh)
- Baadalon se Kaat Kaat ke from the movie Satya (1998) (composed by Vishal Bharadwaj)